How to Install Ghost on HostGator
- Head over to Hostgator and Click on "VPS Hosting"
- Select your Size (cannot be the smallest size, not enough memory to install and run Node.js) and whether or not you want register a new domain. Complete the rest of the order.
- Once you have completed the order, wait for the email from HostGator saying your VPS has been setup
- Once you receive their email with your VPS instructions, ssh into your server (use the username, password, and IP address they sent you):
- Update the Server:
sudo yum update sudo yum upgrade sudo yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
- Install Node.js:
curl -sL https://rpm.nodesource.com/setup | bash - yum install -y nodejs
- Install Ghost:
sudo mkdir -p /var/www/ cd /var/www/ curl -L -O https://ghost.org/zip/ghost-latest.zip sudo unzip -d ghost [Name-of-Ghost-zip].zip cd ghost sudo /usr/local/bin/npm install --production
- Configure Ghost:
cp config.example.js config.js sudo vi config.js
- In the "Production" section, change the following:
host: '[your HostGator public IP]',
- HostGator comes with Apache installed and running. You need to stop Apache and remove it:
/usr/sbin/httpd -k stop rm -rf /usr/local/apache
- Create Ghost User:
sudo adduser --shell /bin/bash --gecos 'Ghost application' ghost sudo chown -R ghost:ghost /var/www/ghost/
- Log into Ghost User:
su - ghost cd /var/www/ghost/
- Start Ghost:
npm start --production
- In a web browser head to the IP address with
:2368at the end (ex
123.456.78.901:2368) that was given to you and you should see Ghost up and running!
Proxy from Port 80 and Keep Ghost Running
There you have it, Node.js is installed, Ghost files are located in
/var/www/ghost, and Ghost has been started. You can keep Ghost the way it is currently setup if you do not mind adding :2368 to the end of your url, but we would highly recommend you check out the following two articles to help get your Ghost blog ready: