How To Install Ghost On Linode
Linode.com is a popular choice for a VPS hosting. They offer VPS hosting for the following operating systems (among others):
This post will walk through how to signup for a Linode account, deploy CentOS, and install Ghost
- Head over to linode.com to signup for an account.
- Once your account is created you will be logged in and taken to the "Deploy a Linux Distribution" page.
- Select CentOS 6.2 under the 64-bit section. (If you are planning on running a production installation of Ghost you will likely want to increase the "Deployment Disk Size" to give you some more room)
- Click the
- You will be taken the Linode Dashboard where you will see your CentOS disk image. With the "My CentOS 6.2 Profile" selected, click the
- After a few moments you will see a "Success" message in your "Host Job Queue" at the bottom letting you know CentOS has finished booting.
- Next you need to click on the
Remote Access tabat the top to get your username and IP address. You will find this info in the "SSH Access" section.
- SSH into your VPS with the following command (use your own ip addres):
- Update CentOS and install the Development Tools with the following commands:
yum update yum upgrade yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
- Download and compile Node.js:
cd /tmp wget http://nodejs.org/dist/node-latest.tar.gz tar -xzf node-latest.tar.gz cd [node folder] ./configure make make install
- Download and Install Ghost
mkdir -p /var/www/ cd /var/www/ wget -O ghost.zip https://ghost.org/zip/ghost-latest.zip unzip -d ghost ghost.zip cd ghost npm install --production cp config.example.js config.js
- Edit your
config.jsfile. In the production section replace the following:
host: '[your Linode public IP]',
- Create Ghost User
useradd ghost chown -R ghost:ghost /var/www/ghost/
- Switch to Ghost User
su - ghost cd /var/www/ghost/
- Start Ghost
npm start --productionBrowse to
There you have it, Node.js is installed, Ghost files are located in
/var/www/ghost, and Ghost has been started. You can keep Ghost the way it is if you do not mind adding :2368 to the end of your url, but we would highly recommend you check out the following two articles to help get your Ghost blog fully ready:
Next Steps:Learn Ghost from the Ground Up
Head to "Ghost for Beginners" to learn everything you need to know about learning and customizing Ghost
Find the Perfect Ghost Theme
Go to our Ghost themes section of this site to browse all of your Ghost theme options in one place.